Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mothers Ham Ball Recipe

For some reason, when we were cleaning out Mothers apt. after she passed away I wound up with her recipe boxes-both of them. (who am I kidding, I know why I got them :)
I’m sure there will be stories posted on this blog about Mothers cooking skills, experiences, etc. Cooking was her therapy, it became the way she “loved” people.
We of course were the fortunate recipients of this.

This is her “Ham Ball” recipe that I have made, and shared with my sisters, who love it and make it too. Audrey e-mailed me just yesterday for the recipe. You can make these up ahead, form them into balls, place on a cookie sheet covered in Saran Wrap, and freeze. After they are frozen, just take them off the sheet, and place in large freezer bags, removing as many as you want to cook for a meal. I make up my sauce ahead and freeze it to. These are wonderful for a company meal.


Mothers Ham Balls

3 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
½ c. pineapple juice ( I buy the pineapple juice you get in the juice isle, comes in can like pop.You will use it in the sauce too.)
2 ¼ c. crushed saltines
1 ½ lb. ground cooked ham (I buy a chunk of ham, and grind it up in my food processor)
1 ½ lb. ground pork (this is fresh pork, not pork sausage)
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, pineapple juice and saltines, Crumble ham and pork over mixture; mix well. Shape into balls bigger than a golf ball, smaller than a tennis ball. Place in a baking dish.

Sauce:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 ½ t. ground mustard
¼ c. cider vinegar
¼ c. pineapple juice
In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; spoon over ham balls. Bake, uncovered at 350degrees for 30-45 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment