Thursday, November 13, 2008

Grandma Horack's housekeeping

As Andrea and I were having one of our "short" telephone conversations this evening, I remembered going to Grandma Horack's house to visit. Of course, she always had Pepsi and potato chips, a treat we seldom got at home. She also had places to practice writing your name, her end tables. I remember writing my name in the dust and the next time I was there, it was still there. Just a little dustier. It is amazing her front porch rail was still attached to the house. We would set in the porch swing and use the rail to push ourselves higher and higher. The rail wasn't solid but it was still attached after all those years.

For those of you who don't know what a swamp cooler is, it blows air across water to cool the air. In Kansas, that is a wasted effort with the humidity. However, Grandma had one and if you sat right in front of it, the air was cooler than the outside. No wonder everything seemed damp in her house.

For those of you who haven't tried the meatloaf recipe I will share a personal story. When Steve and I got married, he said he didn't like meatloaf so I didn't make it for years. After Heather and Gregg were born, I decided they needed to try meatloaf and I wanted it!!! Steve, being a good Dad, took some and ate it to set a good example. He kept eating it and eating it. He finally realized it wasn't meat loaf he didn't like, it was his Mom's recipe for meatloaf he didin't like.
We have been married 38 years and when I was in Kansas last month visiting my Mother-in-law, something came up about meatloaf. She said Steve didn't like it and I said "Oh, yes he does. He just doesn't like it made with bread." She said "Oh, so he doesn't like my meatloaf." Woops!! I don't think she held it against me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment