Friday, November 21, 2008

Entertaining..........

I love to decorate. House, yard, patio……..dinner tables.

As I was growing up, and we were expecting company, or family for a holiday meal, or any kind of special meal, Mother and I had somewhat of a routine. She would do the lion share of the cooking, cleaning the kitchen, utility room, and family room, while she monitored whatever was on the stove. I cleaned the rest of the house, setting up the dining room table with the extra spacers in the table, and the linens, and table ware. This became a ritual to the point that Mother admitted after I left home that she found entertaining to be somewhat daunting without me there to “take care of the table”.

As I would set up we would verbally go over the menu; what was she serving, what serving pieces would we need, if gravy, then the gravy boat and ladle, if a special side dish, for ex. Cranberry Ice, a Christmas treat that was always served on the side in its own little separate dish at each place setting, then extra room had to be arranged. Of course the centerpiece was always considered carefully; what did we have room for, and did we want candles? By the time the meal rolled around the table was (at least I felt like it) a masterpiece. She taught us to take pride not only in what we served, but how we served it. Now mind you, we don’t put that kind of pressure on ourselves in these less formal days, but the knowledge is still there, and I know if required, we know how to “pull it off”.

Perhaps this is where our love for pretty dishes and serving pieces came from. Each of us has several complete sets of dishes; Fiesta, china we picked out when we married, and a set of pottery for those more casual dinners, and then the always present set of “everyday” dishes; i.e. Corel. We have actually devoted entire weekend’s antiquing where we found complimenting dishes we could use with our current dinnerware, thereby making our table someplace fun to sit down and enjoy a delicious meal.

This has been passed on in each of we girls to the homes of our daughters. These are just a few pictures of my niece’s homes and their tables prepared for a special Easter dinner, and a Mother’s Day lunch.
Casie's Mother's Day Table

RaDawnna's Easter Table

Last night we hosted Dinners for Six, a ministry through our church where three couples have an opportunity to eat together, each contributing to the meal, and it was our night to host. As I was folding the napkins, and setting the table, I thought of all the tables I have set and decorated in my life as a Horack girl.

Cooking is fun, and the good food is always the highlight of any meal, but the part I think I enjoy the most is the decorating of the table.

Cranberry Ice (from Aunt Doris)
Cook and run thru sieve: 1 lb. cranberries & 2 C. water
Add and reheat: 2 1/2 C. sugar
Add juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
Let cool some.
Add 1 pt. lemon-lime pop (Sprite)
Freeze
Remove from freezer a little while before ready to serve so you are able to spoon it out into the dishes. This is tart, and cold, and the perfect "side" at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment